Walk Every Day

This morning, I changed a long-standing pattern in my life.  My usual morning routine is coffee, breakfast, the news on the radio, and then... work.

Today I went for a 20-minute walk.  I've done the reading, and all the sources say it's enough.  I guess it's hard to believe, especially for an old athlete like myself.  After a lifetime of backpacking and climbing, a short walk doesn't seem like much.

At 60, I don't climb much any more, and my hikes are a lot shorter than they used to be.  So, I'm going to find out if a short, daily walk is enough.  This is my experiment of one, and I will report on it here.  I'll tell you how hard or easy it is, and what the effects are.

To begin:

  • I weigh 197 pounds, on a large frame, 5 feet 11 inches tall.  According to the charts, I'm about 20 pounds overweight.
  • I sleep about 6 hours a night, usually not very well.  I wake every night at 2am, and have trouble getting back to sleep.
  • I have moderate anxiety about life in general.
This morning, my walk took me down the little lane I live on here in Eugene, Oregon, to the river.  It's a little over a quarter of a mile from my house.  The air was chilly enough to wear a sweatshirt.

I picked some raspberries on the way out of the garden and headed down the road.  I met neighbors who were out walking their dogs, mostly.  Before I got to the river, I noticed the first effect; my mind was running more slowly.  Usually, first thing in the morning, my mind is racing with the list of appointments, emails, meetings and phone calls I'm going to make today.  Now, my mind seems like a friendlier neighborhood.  I seem to be thinking kinder, calmer thoughts.

At the river, I stand for a moment and watch the mighty Willamette rushing past the little path that runs alongside it.  I take in the calm, just briefly, and start my return walk.  Now my mind is very noticeably different.  I feel a calm that is unique in my morning experience.  I am not out of breath or sweating.

Back at the house, I make a quick breakfast and turn on the computer, ready to work.

See you tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Three

Treasures